Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May Madness and snowball bushes

“Nothing in the world is permanent, and we’re foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we’re still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it.” ― W. Somerset Maugham

Cindy La Ferle
Snowball bushes. I loved them when I was a kid, and recall picking backyard bouquets of the blossoms for my mom. They're showiest right now, in late May, when the school year wraps up and most parents are wilting from "May Madness" syndrome. When my son was in high school, our May calendar rarely showed an inch of empty white space; it was heavily inked with dates for concerts, award banquets, dances, year-end competitions and celebrations. This time of year, I look back gratefully on those rich and fleeting moments of parenthood. ~CL


No comments:

Post a Comment