Friday, May 19, 2017

Shopping in Detroit

Three Cats Cafe at Leon & Lulu, Clawson / Cindy La Ferle
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." ~Henry Ford

Our adventure began Thursday afternoon at Three Cats Cafe, the new annex to Leon & Lulu, which I often refer to as my "happy place" in small-town Clawson. Proprietor Mary Liz Curtin had invited retail vendors and friends from all over the country to meet at her store for lunch and afterward spend the afternoon touring Detroit. Doug and I were honored to be on her guest list.

A longtime cheerleader for our Motor City, Mary Liz stocks a wide variety of locally crafted products at Leon & Lulu. She believes everyone in the country should know how much fun it is to live, love, and shop in Detroit, which she fondly refers to as "the Paris of the Midwest."
Mary Liz Curtin / Cindy La Ferle

With that in mind, she hired a tour bus and gave us a firsthand look at how retail is done in a roll-up-your-sleeves city that's working hard to reinvent and rebrand itself. Throughout the afternoon we visited shops carrying home goods, re-purposed vintage signs, jewelry, clothing, leather goods, watches, and so much more. As you might imagine, each of these one-of-a-kind retailers has an edgy urban vibe and an entrepreneurial spirit of its own. 

Among our stops: Well Done Goods, Eldorado General Store (where I bought the gorgeous vintage Moroccan purse shown below), Detroit Artifactory, Third Man Records, Nest, Pewabic Pottery (where I bought a cool ceramic necklace), and Shinola Detroit (where I dropped a few hints for an upcoming birthday), and Pure Detroit in the beautiful Fisher Building.    

The city of Detroit is a source of inspiration to anyone who has struggled through a crisis. I'm proud of the city of my birth -- and awed by the people who are working hard to make it thrive again. While I live in one of its suburbs, I'm guilty of not visiting and supporting Detroit as often as I should. Thanks to my adventure yesterday, I'll be back soon. 


Well Done Goods, Detroit / Cindy La Ferle
ELDORADO General Store, Detroit / Cindy La Ferle

My new purse, from ELDORADO General Store / Cindy La Ferle


Detroit Artifactory / Cindy La Ferle 


Gorgeous Detroit-made watches at Shinola Detroit / Cindy La Ferle

Cindy La Ferle

Leather goods at Will Leather Goods Detroit / Cindy La Ferle

Hand-crafted footwear at Will Leather Goods / Cindy La Ferle


A selection of books at Pure Detroit / Cindy La Ferle

A place to rest outside the Nest gift shop / Cindy La Ferle


No comments:

Post a Comment