Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Starting over, every day

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." ~Annie Dillard

"Starting from scratch" / Cindy La Ferle

It's time for me to get back to work -- so I'll be taking a break from posting for a few days. To meet a deadline for one of my favorite national magazines, I have to glue my backside to my desk chair every day for the rest of the week. (I'll fill you in on the details later on.) 

Each new assignment -- and every blank page -- makes me feel like a beginner all over again. I've been a freelance writer for many publications since 1984, but in recent years I've focused mainly on my newspaper columns. This year, I've decided to dive back into national magazines again. Either way, I still have to discipline myself to keep a regular schedule, especially when I'm thrown off by a long holiday weekend. 

And this was one of the busiest Fourth of July holiday weekends I've enjoyed in a long time. Doug and I celebrated a friend's birthday over dinner at a new restaurant in Detroit; had an impromptu dinner with Nate, Andrea, and Doug's mom; toured Cranbrook Gardens and the King Tut exhibit at the Cranbrook Science Museum (photos to come); shopped the holiday sale at Leon & Lulu in Clawson; and rode our bikes in the glorious sunshine. 

But here I am, procrastinating again .... I hope you're rested up after the long holiday and that you find yourself refreshed for the summer days ahead. See you in a few. ~CL


  

No comments:

Post a Comment