Saturday, August 12, 2017

Farm-fresh produce

“True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington.”  ~Global Healing Center


Fresh produce from the Clawson Farmer's Market / Cindy La Ferle

There are a couple of farmer's markets near our home in Royal Oak, which means there's no excuse for us to go without fresh, Michigan-grown produce this time of year. While I shop the produce aisles year 'round at local grocery stores, I can't think of anything more delicious than the taste of farm-grown fruit and veggies when they're in season. 

For most of my life, I've favored a plant-based diet. Both cardio-vascular disease and diabetes run in my family, so I pay careful attention to what I eat -- and I read everything I can find (from a variety of sources) about healthy nutritional practices. As Dr. Andrew Weil suggests, healthy eating is a lifestyle choice -- not a "diet" that you follow when you need to lose weight. Dr. Paul Ehrmann, my own family physician, supports my preventative-care efforts and has always encouraged eating a clean diet and practicing a regular exercise program. 

The bounty shown in the photo above came from the Clawson Farmer's Market at the city park, which is much smaller than our market in Royal Oak. But we always manage to find some good things there, and, as a bonus, we can walk Coco on the trail after we shop for fresh produce. My favorite way to spend Sunday mornings!

1 comment: